Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Recalled Military Mother - Remember SERVICE BEFORE SELF

I was reading one of my favorite blogs today, Storked, and she discussed an article she read about a military mom who was recalled to duty.

Here's a summary of the article if you don't have time to read it. There's a prior military woman who lives in NC. She served the Army for four years and was honorable discharged. Like ALL prior members, there is a possibility for her to be recalled. She was - called to report to Fort Benning, and isn't happy about it. Thing is, she has kids now. And apparently her husband travels a lot. Being away from them is "not an option."

So, in her first report back in, she drove about 400 miles, through a snow storm and brought her kids along. She's filed several appeals as to why she can't possibly be recalled and all were rejected. When she gets to Ft. Benning, they will let her know their decision.

The Associated Press piece reads, like most news of late, as a melodramatic movie script. She had to fight through an insane snow storm. She so doesn't want to have to go back into the Army. She's devastated to leave her children. The Army is the bad guy.

Seriously? No, I mean, seriously? As a military brat, I feel like I have the authority to sound off on this. Firstly, the piece is ridiculous and all it does is paint this horribly unfair picture of what happens to prior servicemen and women nationwide. Because, FYI folks, THIS happens to everyone. Men, women. Families of 6. Single people. This woman is not going on some plight by herself. And not to mention, we ALL drive hundreds of miles for everything in the military. Again, she is not alone. And we don't complain.

And reading this, and hearing this makes me angry. Firstly, I have the utmost respect for all mothers worldwide. Being a mother is a sacred thing and not one LIKES to be separated from their kids.

BUT, she chose to join the military and she knew and understood everything that goes along with it. The military is not a job, it is a lifestyle. A commitment. And I don't even want to hear her complain.

And as a military brat, I understand what it's like to have parents not there. Let's talk about the time my father was in the land of sand and my brother graduated . . . HIGH SCHOOL. Or the many birthday, soccer games, every day occurrences that he missed. We NEVER complained. Ever. And we are the kids. It is the nature of our lives. And we had mad respect for our parents who were sent away. Don't even get me started on the families who have TWO military parents. Their kids don't complain either.

Additionally, you may think that I'd like the Army to make her go. BUT, I don't. I don't want someone who's heart isn't in the right place, over with all the other men and women deployed who's hearts are in the right place. She doesn't deserve to serve with them. They wouldn't want her.

An old saying, from my favorite Army Ranger in my life, is SUCK IT UP AND PRESS ON. Life happens. The military is your life. You can't just pick when and where it suits you. There is a reason why we say service before self. Think about that.

No comments: