Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

Today is a special day for America. Today is Veterans Day.

As a military brat this day calls for special reflection. My father still serves today. My grandfather served. And in about a year, my brother will graduate from the University of Oklahoma and become an Army officer. It's what my family does, we serve.

My father has been to Iraq and Afghanistan. It's only a matter of time before he goes again. My brother will also go. My grandfather was drafted during World War II.

I have many friends who are in the service, and even friends whose parents still serve. I have friends who are deployed. While I never fully made it to "signing on the dotted line" I spent my life (and still am) as a military brat. I've seen first hand, year after year, the sacrifices that men and women make around the world.

It seems at times, to me, that we can never fully comprehended what our nation's forces do for us on a daily basis. Regardless of what your opinion is, you should always support the troops. They are where they are because they are fighting to protect us. In the Land of Sand. In a country that ends with "stan." In places you've never heard of and never will hear of.

So on today, I ask you to pause. Reflect on what you have. You have peace on your shore lines. Think of the men and women that are deployed throughout the world, and their families who are left waiting at home for them to return. And remember all of those who came before them, some of whom never made it home. For without them, we would not have the freedoms that we have today.

My love and admiration to my father, brother, grandfather and friends who have stood for us. My love and continued support to their family members. We owe you more than we could ever give you back. You mean the world to me.

No comments: