Thursday, December 4, 2008

New Home for B-52s

Stars and Stripes reported today that the Air Combat Command has selected Minot Air Force Base (N.D) for its fourth B-52 squadron. The squadron should be up and running by 2010.

No overseas bases were considered in the decision process and the new location will have to undergo a environmental impact analysis prior to getting the full nod.

I'm a huge fan of B-52s. When my family left Japan we were shipped to Barksdale AFB in Shreveport, LA which is home of the B-52 bombers. We saw them every day and heard the roar of the engines every night. They are giant beauties. They are phenomenal.

Military jet engines - ahh, they are one of my favorite sounds to hear as I fall asleep and is something that I miss each night. There's something soothing about the hum that is created as military aircraft fire up for flight. Hmm, maybe other military brats feel the same. Did I just stumble onto an idea? A specialized alarm clock with military related sounds - jet engines firing, the morning reveille . . . ???

Congrats Minot - - - get ready for them!

No comments: