Monday, December 22, 2008

Sears and Soldiers - Why I Heart Them

I want to start off by saying, oh my word there are just three days until Christmas. Three days! I've always taken time off before the big day and this is the first year that I haven't. I saved my days for next week, so I'll be working right up until Christmas this year.

I have to tell you about something I came across last night, and then this morning. I was watching Extreme Home Makeover last night when I saw a commercial that discussed the Heroes at Home program that Sears has created. The commerical didn't tell me much but a peak on their site this morning did.




Sears states that "Heroes at Home is a program Sears Holdings has created in partnership with Rebuilding Together in response to an urgent need to assist military families facing hardship. By providing necessary repairs or adaptations to homes, Sears Holdings strives to improve the lives of military families across America."

I encourage you to visit the site and read the stories of the many military families they have helped. There's a spot for donations, a spot where you can spread the word, and even a spot to post a message of support.

As if that didn't warm your heart, here's another reason why military families should support Sears. I came across the following segment on the Today Show:



As Today reported, as Sears struggles for survival, it is still spending millions of dollars it doesn’t have supporting American troops. Sears employes more than 550 men and women that are deployed on active duty. While the employee is away defending our nation, the company not only continues to provide full benefits for the employee and their family but also helps make up the difference between the pay that the military provides, and the pay the employee receives when they are working for Sears.

I sat in awe when I heard this. It's an amazing thing that the retailer is doing. So to Sears, thank you from the bottom of this military girl's heart. While my family is not involved in any of these programs it truly means so much to me that you are willing to show such incredible support of the men and women that serve our nation. I know where I'll be shopping this holiday season.

Do you know of any other big companies supporting our troops that deserve a shout out? Post them here and let me know your thoughts!

No comments: