Sunday, January 4, 2009

2008 in Review

Okay, so even though I haven't been blogging I wanted to take a page from my blogging yoda, Wickedly Scarlett and do a year in review post.

While mine will not be as snazzy as hers I still wanted to give it a shot, for myself . . . if no one else.

This year was a crazy one for me and I learned a lot of lessons. When I thought about how I should write this I realized that there is only one way: a list of excitement and a section on a very prominent theme - distance. So, since I'd like to end the post on a good note on to the bad stuff first . . .

The Summer of Distance

- This summer my grandmother fell extremely ill and I was again solidly hit with a shake up that can only be brought on by the distance living an ocean away. My mother flew home to Ireland to see her through the journey - and she was our only information line. Luckily, after several surgeries, she is starting to get better. But there is not one day that passes that I don't think about what it would be like to be home with her and how I have to get home as soon as possible since we never know what can happen in life.

- My mother's international journey was also matched with my father's TDY and my brother's vacation through Europe (believe it or not it was all around the same time. This situation reminded me of what my life was like just a few short years ago with me and the rest of my family living an ocean apart. This summer, all of us where in a different place, and hey in different countries. My sister and I were the only ones in the US at that time but even then she was in OK and I was in NJ. A few years ago, when I lived in the US and the rest of my family lived in London there were phone calls once a month and a trip about once a year. That distance was something I will never forget. Or what it took away from me. So this summer I felt as if my world was a bit upside down and the familiar feeling of real distance crept back. But the upside to being reminded of this feeling was that is was only temporary. Once Mom, Dad and Matt returned home it went back to normal and a quick trip out to see my parents in FL made all the difference.

- This summer my dog also went into congestive heart failure just days before my mother was supposed to travel to Ireland to be with my grandmother. It was heartbreaking. Finn has been with us for so long, and with a steady dose of serious heart meds he is still with us today. We're not sure for how much longer though and as I said goodbye to him at Christmas I prepared myself for the fact that it may be the last time I see his beautiful face.

But the summer of distance is now thankfully over and now I can talk about the stuff that made me smile . . or as I like to call it, my List of Excitement . . .

- One of my best friends, Megan, got engaged and she asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. This is my first experience as a bridesmaid and I will do everything in my power to be a great one

- I went to WABC-TV's MS for a Cure charity event and supported a good cause and made some new friends that I'm now even closer to

- Dan's brother, Mike, graduated college! I was there to experience everything and help him celebrate

- I experienced my first ever, real NYC partying experience which became the introduction to a world of others

- I flew to FL and was there to celebrate my mother's birthday for the first time in many, many years. I also helped my family surprise my Mom with an unexpected birthday gift . . . my sister!

- I went to Sea World in Orlando, twice, and touched a dolphin!!!

- I was again very fortunate to attend the PR Week awards with the firm I work for and this year I got to meet Christian Finnegan

- I spent the 4th of July cruising up the Hudson River watching the Macy's fireworks

- I spent my mother's birthday with her for the first time in many, many years. I also helped my family surprise my Mom with an amazing birthday gift . . . my sister!

- I spent a wonderful girl's getaway weekend in near by Philadelphia. Yes, I ate a REAL cheese steak AND at night we took the town by storm

- I participated in my first 5k and continued on my fitness quest

- I spent a romantic long weekend with Dan in Vermont. We spent time visiting all of our favorite spots and even took time to see some new ones. Overall, it was the most refreshing vacation of the year

- I threw myself a birthday party at my casa and all of my favorite people showed up including two of my BFFs from Japan - Heather Ivey and Amanda Stangl

- My BFF Heather Cheney and I made a year long plan in the making come true! She flew in to see me and experience a whirlwind NYC Christmas. We saw the Radio City Music Christmas show (rockettes, holla!) and the tree. We even went to Hoboken to kick her visit off with a bang

- I spent Christmas with my family in Tampa and went to my first ever NFL game!

- And last but not least . . . I embraced social media. I started a blog and now I'm addicted. As someone who is a true social media fan it's a wonder why it took me so long to get here. I mean, I joined Twitter before I started a blog. Needless to say, I'm now thrilled that I'm now immersed in the social media scene. And hey, I even joined the 20-something's bloggersnetwork.

As this year was marked with ups and downs, I am reminded that it is how it should be or life would never be life. I know that this post seems like its all over the place, but that's how my year was. Hope your 2008 was great and I hope your 2009 is even better.

No comments: