Tuesday, January 20, 2009

First Lady Gets Military Families

I'm a fan of www.military.com and try to visit the site at least once or twice a week. On this most historical day, the day that Obama became the nation's 44th president of the United States, I visited the site and came across the First Lady's letter to Americans. I encourage you to read it.

Her letter seemed heartfelt and honest. The part that resonated with me the most was how she stated that she "particularly cherished visits with military families all across the country. And if there's one thing I learned, it's that when our servicemen and women go to war, their families go with them."

Her paragraphs about the military significance to our nation, and how she described our lives rang through to me. I honestly believe that she genuinely gets military families.

"So as I watch Barack take that oath, I'll be thinking especially about those members of our American family who stand guard across the world and the loved ones who await their safe return. Because even as we mark this moment in American history, there still will be empty seats at the dinner table; there still will be spouses struggling to juggle roles and responsibilities; there still will be children who mark the passing of a birthday without Mommy and toddlers who know their father only by a grainy video stream from a far-flung corner of the globe."

As a military brat, I was glad to read that. Whether I'm 12 or 20, my Dad's deployments still feel the same. Here's to hoping that starting today American can turn over a new leaf - - - and begin a new journey.

*the excerpts above were taken from www.military.com*

No comments: